So this is a purely inward looking post in what has been a great 2012 so far but, of course, as ever there are a few bumps on the road. So what is happening at OME....
1. Business is very strong. Combo of new clients, a major returning client and increase in our product portfolio mean that the revenue line has continued upwards (+30%) in what we thought would be a challenging year. New clients include Tesco Plc, Jamie Oliver Group, Odgers/Berwick Partners, Telegraph Media Group, IHS, bagthat.com,
2. Margins are pretty constant. We make no bones about the fact that we charge fees for the work we do, rather than hiding them in media buying or similar. As we have taken on some larger accounts this margin we expect to tick down a bit this year due to volume discount but its the figure we most closely watch i think.
3. However - our overall profitability will not increase a lot this year. sean and i made the call to invest in the business (we are naturally very mean). So all finance/bookkeeping has been outsourced, new staff, new IT equipment, office re-furb. Now we know these are growing pains and this is a grown up decision to help us expand further over next 2 years but spending money still stings a bit.
4. Office vibe. Its changed, its not what it was. I hope people still enjoy themselves and can still piss about when appropriate but most days i sit here - its all tapping away on keyboards, a million phone calls, out on client calls etc, rather than "who do you hate most in industry and why?" - "if you had to lose a limb, would you rather have 1 leg or 1 arm?".
5. Blimey - just realised on basis of post above we need to go out and have some fun. Will come back later