Warning - this post is a pretty dry analysis and estimate(posh word for guess) of what revenue LinkedIn are generating from UK businesses for candidate attraction/sourcing (inc career channels etc)
OK - so most recent public trading statement is here =- from this I reckon the following (my comments in bold)
Second Quarter Financial Details and Operating Summary
• Talent Solutions: Revenue from Talent Solutions products totalled $205.1 million, an increase of 69% compared to the second quarter of 2012. Talent Solutions revenue represented 56% of total revenue in the second quarter of 2013, compared to 53% in the second quarter of 2012.
This is OME's world (ie companies buying licences and recruitment products)
• Marketing Solutions: Revenue from Marketing Solutions products totaled $85.6 million, an increase of 36% compared to the second quarter of 2012. Marketing Solutions revenue represented 24% of total revenue in the second quarter of 2013, compared to 28% in the second quarter of 2012.
Selling the senior audience to advertisers (airlines/tech vendors/financial products) like any other media
• Premium Subscriptions: Revenue from Premium Subscriptions products totaled $73.0 million, an increase of 68% compared to the second quarter of 2012. Premium Subscriptions represented 20% of total revenue in the second quarter of 2013, compared to 19% in the second quarter of 2012.
Cash from the individual I guess some staffing agencies and some orgs - make the user buy this on own credit card (and claim back) but lets ignore
Revenue from the U.S. totalled $224.3 million, and represented 62% of total revenue in the second quarter of 2013. Revenue from international markets totaled $139.4 million, and represented 38% of total revenue in the second quarter of 2013.
Revenue from the field sales channel totalled $209.2 million, and represented 58% of total revenue in the second quarter of 2013. Revenue from the online, direct sales channel totaled $154.4 million, and represented 42% of total revenue in the second quarter of 2013.
So, now my bit
Assumption- that they make same proportion of revenue from talent solutions outside USA as they do in USA
- Therefore - LI made $78million in Q2 from talent solutions in rest of world ($312m over year)
- This figure is increasing as total LI revenue is increasing and the % of revenue from talent solutions is increasing
- UK market is biggest market outside US – how much is UK?
- My estimate is - as follows - UK represents 8.6% of LinkedIn users (outside North America)– I reckon that translates as UK represents 17.2% of revenue – variable here is I am unsure about Canada (and where that revenue sits) as Canada must be a decent revenue (not sure if figs included in US)
So - what does that mean
- $12m from talent solutions last quarter ($50m this year)
My top of head calculation LI would have been a bit higher than this - but one thing we all know is the numbers only going one way.